To Do Lists… GOALS ToDo Free…
Remember from the intro post, these are the primary requirements I have for a To Do app for my phone/computer/the cloud…
Among the requirements I have for a to do list are:
- Repeating Tasks… I write on 4 blogs and maintain a couple of dynamic websites that always need fresh content. So, I need to remember where I need to write posts each day. My repeating tasks include:
- Same day each month (gathering statistics in my local MLS)
- Same day each week (weekly posts like my 53 Cool Concept series each Sunday)
- Every X number of days (for places I post every four, eight or ten days, etc)
- Ability to tag or note which tasks are for which purpose
- Prioritization (so I don’t get caught up in stuff that doesn’t matter… missing things that are more important)
Ability to sync between my mobile device and other devices (laptop, cloud, etc.)
That seems pretty simple…
Second up is GOALS ToDo Free.
This is the one that kicks out most of the To Do Lists for me. There are several options, which may make this a great opportunity for some folks, but I felt a little limited.
- Daily – You can set tasks to repeat daily, as well as set them to repeat after a certain number of days… In the free version, there doesn’t seem to be an option to have a task repeat each weekday.
- Weekly – Tasks can be set to repeat on a weekly basis, as well. So, if you have a task that needs to be done every Tuesday, or one that needs to be dome every three weeks, this is the option you would use. I don’t see an option to do a task each Monday and Wednesday, for example.
- Monthly – The next option would be a monthly task. This can be set a specific day (November 20th for example) but not on a trigger (like the 3rd Saturday of the month).
- Yearly – This option allows longer range tasks (like birthdays) to be set up. It can even be set up to remind about the task after a period of years. To do this, it has to be set up to repeat in 12 months… or 24 months… or whatever.
I don’t see a Tag capability, but there is a Context that can be applied to tasks to help group them.
We HAVE to be able to focus on the things that are most important. GOALS ToDo Free has three priority levels: Immediately, Soon and Next. There is an interesting option to be able to “refocus” tasks.
I haven’t seen an option to sync with Google Calendar. I’m also not aware of a Website or a way to deal with the tasks from my computer.
Overall, I from my limited exposure, GOALS ToDo seems like an excellent option for project managing, or many other situations. In fact, I can see it being very useful to track real estate contract and closing dates… but as an overall tasking calendar, it doesn’t seem to work for me.